Mukesh Ambani, the chairman of Reliance Group and Industries had announced the launch of a 4G-enabled feature phone – Jio Phone claiming it to be the cheapest smart phone in India. The effective price of Jio Phone will be zero as users can buy it in just Rs.1500 which is a refundable security deposit. Jio Phone is a boon for all those 50 crores low-income user who are unable to purchase a smart phone and thus is exempted from the free internet and unlimited calls offered as per Jio plans. It has been a year when Jio stormed into the highly competitive telecom sector with a six-month promotional offer of free voice and data, which has helped it in adding about 125 million users causing destruction among other telecom companies and is now planning to establish it in mobile sector too.
The bookings of Jio Phone’s started on Thursday, July 24th at 5:30 P.M. on My Jio app, jio.com and on Jio authorized retail stores. But irony took place, as just after one hour, the website crashed due to excessive traffic which led to the suspension of the sale a day and a half after, that is on Saturday.
Jio targets to deliver 50 millions of smart phones per week. Though the delivery schedule is not known, the company says to start deliveries in September.
Recharges offered by Jio especially for the Jio Phone :
Jio offers primarily two recharge packs, priced at Rs. 153 and Rs. 309.
The Rs. 153 JioPhone pack avail you with following benefits :
- 500MB data at 4G speeds and the speed goes down to 128kbps when the data pack gets exhausted
- 300 free SMS’s
- Free voice calls
- Access to compatible Jio apps, such as JioTV, JioCinema, JioXpressNews, and JioMusic
With the Rs. 309 Jio Phone recharge pack, you will get the same benefits as the Rs. 153 pack
- 1GB of data per day
- If you plan to use the Jio Phone -TV Cable, called the JioMediaCable, that lets you mirror content playing on the phone directly on the big screen then you must buy the Rs. 309 recharge pack. This recharge pack will become available for purchase only when the cable hits the market. There are also two sachet packs of Rs. 24 and Rs. 54, with validities of 2 days and 7 days, respectively.
How to book Jio Phone?
To book JioPhone there are three options available – the Jio.com Website, the MyJio app, and authorized offline Jio retailers. For making a booking of a Jio Phone you just need to give your phone number, the pin code, and delivery address, and pay a sum of Rs. 500. Once the booking has been made, you will receive a voucher number which will be for reference purpose when you pick the handset. A particular store will be assigned from where you can pick the Jio Phone, a message will come showing the store name. Multiple Jio Phone can be ordered online.
Key Features and Specifications, all you need to know about Jio Phone :
- Jio Phone has a 2.4-inch display with 320×240 pixel resolution
- Dual-core 1.2GHz Spreadtrum SPRD 9820A/QC9805 processor
- 512MB RAM
- 4GB internal memory with expansion support up to 128GB
- 2-megapixel rear camera, VGA front camera
- 2000mAh battery with talk time of 12 hours
- NFC for digital payments (software support to be added later), Bluetooth 4.1, 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi, and USB 2.0 support.
- Apart from these technical features Jio Phone supports over 22 languages.
- Apps working on Jio phone:- Apart from Jio’s own apps, users will get other instant messaging and social networking apps. The only thing which shocks that most popular messaging app in India, Whatsapp will not be available in KAI-OS based platform. Facebook and PM Modi’s App Man Ki Baat is also available in it.
On the top of the budget phone and cheap recharge, Jio also allows users to reclaim the refundable security deposit of Rs. 1500, after 3 years of the date of buying and get the full amount back after submitting the phone to the company making the effective the effective value of the phone zero.