The Apple Inc.’s new headquarters in Cupertino, California is making news for its architectural brilliance. It was Steve Jobs’ idea to bring everything under one roof by means of this new campus and looks like he did! The new headquarters are called the Apple Park.

The Apple Park is as lavish as its name, which at first sounds like an apple orchid. It is also commonly referred to as Steve Jobs’ Spaceship. Let us find out more about the high-end infrastructure of this architectural marvel.

Apple Park-1

The construction of these new headquarters started in 2014 and completed by April, 2017. On February 22, 2017 Apple announced “Apple Park” to be the official name of the new campus. The structure of the main quad of Stanford inspired Steve Jobs and Lord Norman Foster turned his idea into reality by designing the whole campus. With a project cost of $5 billion, Apple worked with companies from 19 countries for design and supply of materials required.

Apple Park : The Land

The Apple headquarters cover 175 acres of land costing $160 million in Cupertino, California. 80% of the site is green space with trees (including a pond!) which makes it one of the greenest companies in the world. Apple has been growing thousands of trees in a nursery, eventually filling the land around the headquarters with 9000 trees!

Apple Park : The Building

The apple park is circular in shape giving resemblance of a flying saucer. It has a circumference of 1 mile and diameter of 1512. It consists of four storeys above and three storeys under the ground. The building covers an area of 2,800,000 square feet. It is made up of only glass walls and a large number of curved glass panes have been used to give it a circular shape. The inner courtyard of the building is 30 acres of fruit trees and pond.

Apple Park-2

All the wood used in the building and for making furniture is a special species of maple. The roads and parking lots are underground since it helps avoid congestion on ground. Thus, all that can be seen is beauty.

 

 

Apple Park : Facilities

There is no facility not present in the campus. R&D facility to wellness center, it has got it all.

Auditorium: The building has a 1000 seats underground auditorium named ‘Steve Jobs’ Theater’ after Apple’s co-founder and former CEO, Steve Jobs. It is cylindrical in shape with glass walls and carbon-fiber roof, constructed for press releases and meetings of all sort.

Apple Park-3

Cafeteria: The campus has seven cafeterias. The largest of these has a capacity of seating 3000 people. It is surrounded by verdant landscape.

Wellness Center: The wellness/fitness center can serve up to 20,000 employees. It is spread over 100,000 square feet and provides gym equipment, changing rooms, showers, laundry and other services.

R&D Facility: The research and development work will be carried out in two large buildings in a 300,000 square feet facility, far away from general public’s sight.

Transit Center: Two white staircases lead directly from the bus station to the main campus for employees traveling to office by bus.

Visitor’s Center: It is a two-storey 20,135 square feet structure for visitors. It has a café and observation deck for visitors to look around the campus. It even has an Apple Store.

Parking: The building can accommodate a large number of vehicles in two separate structures built underground for parking purpose. Special apps and sensors are used to control and manage traffic.

Apple Park : Energy Supply

A campus as large as the Apple park requires a lot of power to function properly. The building is a marvel for the fact that it is powered entirely by renewable energy that comprises of solar as well as bio-fuel. Furthermore, the solar panels on the roof generate 17MW of power. This is sufficient to sustain 75% of the power needs during peak daytime. The other 25% is generated onsite by Bloom energy server fuel cells. These cells are powered by bio-fuel or natural gas. Hence, Apple Park is the most energy efficient building in the world!

Apple Park-4

 

Some other facilities include bikes to get around the campus and jogging trails all over the land. There is 83,000 square meter of open seating area for meeting spaces for employees.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: